[extropy-chat] Best To Regard Free Will as Existing

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 02:35:32 UTC 2007

Whatever one's views on the abstract questions concerning
> philosophical free will, there should be no doubt that we need
> to severely *blame* criminals and naughty children and, in
> general, all miscreants.  This is for the simple and obvious
> fact that all non-neurologically damaged people are affected
> by censure, blame, and punishment.
>
> I would even go so far as to require judges when handing out
> sentences to do so with passion.

I would go the other way. The criminal should be given the message that his
behaviour is unacceptable, and perhaps victim impact statements are helpful
here, but that the state is incarcerating him with reluctance, after due
consideration of the alternatives. Those criminals who have a moral sense
are least likely to be brutalised by this attitude, and those who do not (a
minority) won't be any the worse for it.

Stathis Papaioannou