[extropy-chat] Avoid Too Much Change.

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 19:50:50 UTC 2007

On 4/11/07, Randall Randall <randall at randallsquared.com> wrote:

> Personal power?  I think you missed the point.  It isn't
> about personal power, it's about whether you're willing
> to cavalierly create multiple copies of yourself at the
> cost of this instance.

Well, the comment to which I replied dismissally was "your style will become
extinct in less than a century" (in a context that suggested the extinction
was going to come as a result of being massacred by entities with "IQ
12000").

If you are now advancing the argument that in the long run the descendants
of people who want to make a lot of copies of themselves will outnumber
those of people who don't, that's something I don't have a problem with,
it's a far more robust conclusion.

It's a fun quote, not part of any argument I'm making.  I
> must admit, though, it is a *polarizing* quote; lots of
> people I'm having discussions with like to quote it and
> attack it, as though it's part of whatever debate we're
> having.  I wonder what that means?

*grin* In my case it's because I thought it was relevant to this particular
context, being representative of the same style of argument.