[extropy-chat] A Grim Vision ...?

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Thu Apr 12 04:42:36 UTC 2007

On Apr 11, 2007, at 8:45 PM, Morris Johnson wrote:

> We need not look farther than the massive trial of bio-energy this
> year in North American agriculture.

Basing bio-energy largely on corn will be a colossal failure with the
side-effect of driving various food costs higher.  A later side-
effect will be a lot of farming business problem, calls for subsidies
and bail outs and so on.  It is very predictable.

> Fertilizer takes petroleum. Crops can go to food or fuel subject
> only to market drivers.
> crop Inputs are being diverted to energy over food.

Do your bio-energy as much as possible using fast growing weeds that
take little in the way of such inputs.

> Some food sectors will have to adjust economics, marketing, or
> simply reduce available  food supply.

Yep, as long as we are stupid enough to turn a primary, relatively
high input, food into ethanol.

> North americans will not starve in 2007, but will consumers revolt,
> will changes to diet occur , will consumption patterns and
> personal budget decisions adjust and if so how fast?
> The other question is .. how stable a long term pattern is this.
> Is it a  paradigm shifted or a fad?

It is a meaningless sop that will enrich many "in the know" and
various opportunists while in the long run making a valid timely
energy solution less likely in the US.  DOA

> Is the shift just starting with more evolution on the way  or is it
> more fixed in stone?

Fixed in stone?  Only until the next Directive comrade.

- samantha