[extropy-chat] Avoid Too Much Change.

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Apr 12 08:21:06 UTC 2007

On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 04:34:10PM -0700, Thomas wrote:

> >Evolution is not especially rational, but rather capable.
> >
> The reasoning mind stands as the ultimate survival tool evolution has

Actually, by the metric ton human biomass doesn't even appear on the graph.
By the hardiness, nothing can touch lithobacteria. They live in an universe
of their own.

> produced to date.  I doubt evolution's subrational products can surpass
> it.

My point was that evolutionary design is quite capable for
producing an advanced infoprocessing agent (such as you), whereas
the rational product of it so far can't. So if there's a race between
a particular kind of AI, or a generic kind, evolutionary designs
seem to have a distinct edge. Which means less control.
Less control is a feature in this case, though some people
here will disagree.

> >>   contributing to the field is going to build an AI that can't be
> >>   controlled and whose motives are destructive.
> >>

> >The future is strange and wild. Human it is not.
> >
> Wrong tense for such absolute assertions.

What is the probability of us being the crown of evolutionary
achievement, given data from several GYrs? Especially, given
estimates of what solid-state systems are capable of.

> And to what end?   We have

Evolution has no purpose, apart from the intrinsic drive towards
more and better informational processing capability.

> ample chaos to content with right now.  Besides, even were human
> extinction inevitable, we might welcome it with open transhuman arms.

It doesn't have to be an extinction. It rather should be a transformation.

> Meat grinding seems a more unlikely threat than mind cannibalism.  But

Last time I looked we're made from CHNOPS, which is crunchy, and good
with ketchup.

> the upside of getting eaten will be continued survival as a sub entity.
>  As long as it optonal, it won't be so terrifying.  Perhaps we could
> work out mind donor agreements to keep things orderly.  -- Thomas

We should look towards human-derived systems.