[extropy-chat] Wikipedia page and cryonics

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Sat Apr 14 04:32:09 UTC 2007

At 04:26 PM 4/13/2007 -0700, Jef wrote:
>On 4/12/07, Keith Henson <hkhenson at rogers.com> wrote:
>
> > I agree that there are people who call themselves
> > "transhumanists" who will not sign up for cryonics for one reason or
> > another.  I don't take them very seriously ...
>
>Hey, I resemble that remark!
>
>I see nothing technically invalid about cryonics, but I have two
>fundamental problems with investing a significant amount of my net
>worth in it at this time.

I don't know anyone who paid for it lump sum.

>(1) The infrastructure is woefully insufficient to provide confidence
>that my investment would be well protected (and I've met people from
>Alcor personally.)

Man, if you think it is shaky today, you should have seen it in 1985 when I
signed up.  Still, all the people Alcor had charge of in those days are
*still* frozen.

>(2) I see nearly zero probability that Jef would be relevant if
>revived at any significantly future time.

I can't argue with your personal evaluation of your worth.

>Please don't respond with a knee jerk Pascal's Wager argument, since
>my money provides a real return relative to my values in this life,
>and I don't harbor the common illusion that my personal survival is
>infinitely valuable.  If I were fairly wealthy, then I could be easily
>tempted, but the same logic would likely prevail.

A contract with CI paid with insurance is a nearly trivial amount of money
by middle class standards.

I hope you are not that poor.

Keith