[extropy-chat] Meta re recurring threads was Personal Identity Bis

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Sat Apr 14 17:17:57 UTC 2007

On  Friday, April 13, 2007 1:56 PM you wrote

> The meta question is why people continue to rehash this topic
> and several others?

As for me, there are a number of unsolved issues regarding identity.

I don't know, of course, what other people's motivations are, even
given that I know my own (we don't usually really have a handle on
why we do what we do).

The ones which seem undeniably important are those that appear
to be mirrored in actual choices that post-humans will have to make,
issues regarding their very own survival and just what that actually
means in light of duplication, memory erasure, and related issues.
It may be abundantly clear to you (and to others) exactly what
doctrines you'll embrace and what ones you'll abhor, but it's not
to all of us.

Evidently I'm not alone in wishing to work out the consequences of
our various takes on various aspects of these issues. (And every so
often, such as right now, I do feel that progress is being made.)

Lee