[extropy-chat] Books - Personal favorites, most influential/inspiring, etc.

Anders Sandberg asa at nada.kth.se
Tue Apr 17 16:09:47 UTC 2007

Jef Allbright wrote:
>> > How about some personal lists of our most influential/inspiring books?

Aristoi - Walter John Williams
Cosmos - Carl Sagan
Gödel, Escher, Bach - Douglas Hofstadter
Mind Children - Hans Moravec
Neverness - David Zindell
Permutation City - Greg Egan
The Anthropic Cosmological Principle - Barrow and Tipler
The Transparent Society - David Brin

> It would be wonderful if any and all who engage in discussions of
> personal identity were familiar with Reasons and Persons, but I was
> disappointed at what I perceive as Parfit's reluctance to fully
> embrace the implications of his own work.  Such tentativeness seems to
> distinguish your thinking from mine as well.  I suspect it is more a
> matter of temperament than philosophy, assuming you must be (I)NTP on
> the MTBI, while I'm INTJ.

Hmm, which implications would that be? If you have a list, I could try to
talk to him about them (he is literally one flight of stairs upstairs from
me).

--
Anders Sandberg,
Oxford Uehiro Centre for Practical Ethics