[extropy-chat] Cryonics is the only option?

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Wed Apr 18 00:05:16 UTC 2007

Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

On 4/17/07, Brett Paatsch <bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> > At this stage, we, science, don't know how for instance the first cell
> > that was the progenitor of all life on earth formed. Not exactly.
> > We don't even know that much in principle yet.
>

> Maybe, but unless it was a miracle, science should be able to
> reproduce it.

I was going to say there'd be a Nobel prize in the acheivement but
its actually a much bigger deal than that.

In Pasteur's time there was a doctrine, started by his work, that
life only comes from life.

The ghosts of Pasteur and Darwin would probably stand up and
salute the scientist that could demonstrate the creation of a living
cell without using another living cell.

Its important in science and technology to be honest about what
one doesn't know. Without that honesty current ignorance is not
remediable.

On the other hand if all one is looking for is to shore up belief
then lots of handwaving and pseudo-explanation will attract
other believers to one and one can huddle together with them
and feel just fine until reality runs over you.

I don't believe in gods or miracles.  I'm a Bright.

I have a question for you Stathis.

Why are you confident that science (ie. scientists) should
be able to do what nature did?  Based on your "maybe"
above, it seems you don't even know if I am telling you
the truth or not - and if I was lying you probably could have
found that out with a google search wouldn't you think?

Are you a scientist, a truthseeker yourself, or do you look to
scientists (other people) as a sort of priest substitute to
reassure you that all is fine so you don't have to worry ?