[extropy-chat] Books - Personal favorites, most influential/inspiring, etc.

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 12:37:54 UTC 2007

On 4/15/07, Jef Allbright <jef at jefallbright.net> wrote:

It would be wonderful if any and all who engage in discussions of
> personal identity were familiar with Reasons and Persons, but I was
> disappointed at what I perceive as Parfit's reluctance to fully
> embrace the implications of his own work.  Such tentativeness seems to
> distinguish your thinking from mine as well.  I suspect it is more a
> matter of temperament than philosophy...

I guess you're right. If I were to fully embrace the implications of my
beliefs about personal identity, I would not care any more about my own
future experiences than I do about anyone else's, but I just can't bring
myself to think this way. I am slightly less worried about my own own death
than I was before, and I am slightly less inclined to be selfish than I was
before, but these changes are not commensurate with the radical intellectual
shift.

Stathis Papaioannou