[extropy-chat] META: List attachments

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 13:43:51 UTC 2007

On 4/19/07, Jay Dugger <jay.dugger at gmail.com> wrote:

> I strongly agree. If you have something to attach to an email to the
> list, please post it to a public service (ftp, web host, openomy,
> etc.) and announce that in the email. I'd rather follow a link to
> something new and strange than open a mass-mailed attachment. The
> former piques my curiosity. The latter presumes my attention.

I strongly disagree. If a particular attachment doesn't interest you, you
can simply ignore it just as you can with a link that doesn't interest you.
But the idea is to cut down on the number of steps required to perform
simple operations, not start increasing it again, and email attachments are
the simplest way, requiring the fewest steps, to send a file. As Whitehead
put it, "Civilization advances by extending the number of important
operations we can perform without thinking about them".