[extropy-chat] Scanning and simulation, rather than reconstruction after cryonic preservation

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Fri Apr 20 00:06:17 UTC 2007

On 4/19/07, Brett Paatsch <bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> From: "Anders Sandberg" <asa at nada.kth.se>
>
> Brett Paatsch wrote:
>
> >> .. Would you classify yourself as a believer in cryonics?

Brett, I appreciate the point you are trying to make and I don't want
to get in the way, but I would like to initiate (possibly a brief)
parallel discussion path.

In my view, there is nothing in principle to prevent cryonic
preservation followed by repair and revival, but I see formidable
difficulties in terms of physical constraints such as managing heat
generation (from the reconstruction process) over a reasonable period
of time.  So I would think that scanning the original and reproducing
its patterns within a computing substrate is likely to be more
practical.  Care to argue that aspect as well?

- Jef