[extropy-chat] How to be copied into the future?

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Sun Apr 22 22:46:40 UTC 2007

Damien writes

>>But does this mean that Mother Teresa should stay
>>dead for *all* time if the power existed to bring her
>>back to life?
>
> That's an old thread, but I believe the original context selected MT
> as someone posthumans might go to some trouble to retrieve *due to
> her especial humanitarian merit*... which was my objection.

All right, thanks for the clarification.

Since I can't complain about you, then, maybe I can go after Robert,
who just wrote

> Future "salvation vectors" are much more likely to be based upon
> "wisdom vectors" rather than "mercy vectors".  Wise actions will
> save many more people than merciful behaviors, particularly those
> directed towards an improbable and unprovable direction.).

By "salvation vector" are you trying to describe a merit list of those
who *deserve* to be saved?   If so, then this still smacks of a rather
vengeful God who punishes people in the next life for what they've
done in the first one.

It *may* make sense to exact retribution against a misbehaving two-
year old, because we wish to elecit better behavior from him or her.
I fail to see our mind children, if they're both sensible and merciful,
with any wisdom trying to do the same.

Lee