[extropy-chat] How to be copied into the future?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 11:08:16 UTC 2007

On 4/23/07, Robert Bradbury wrote:
<snip>
> I think a recent show on either the science channel or the discovery
> channel indicated that our galaxy is going to collide with one of our sister
> galaxies in ~3 billion years.  3 billion years is a relatively short time
> span, esp. if we starlift the sun so it will last a trillion years or more.
> During galactic collisions, one is less concerned with the survival of
> "meat" vectors and more concerned with whether or not one gets sucked into
> one of the black holes whose fundamental raison d'etre seems to be the
> disassembly of organized forms of matter in the universe.

Hey, I think you're being a panic-monger!
Are you trying to get a budget allocation for saving the galaxy?  :)

The distances are so vast that it is most unlikely that stars or
planets will have close encounters of the catastrophic kind.

<http://www.newsandevents.utoronto.ca/bin/000414b.asp>

Quote:
"Perhaps even more intriguing is the fact that life on Earth –
whatever it may be – will probably live through and witness the entire
merger over the billion-year dance of the two galaxies, he says. The
reason is that the expected lifetime of our sun is projected to last
another five billion years. Plus, the likelihood of stars and planets
slamming into each other is very low because the distance between them
is so vast. The interaction will be "collision-less," with the most
significant effect involving huge gravitational distortions of the
systems as they coalesce."

Download the video from here:
<http://www.cita.utoronto.ca/%7Edubinski/tflops/tflops/>

BillK