[extropy-chat] Putting God to Rest.

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Mon Apr 23 20:03:15 UTC 2007

Robert Bradbury Wrote:

> Thought exercise for you... Imagine waking up tomorrow morning and there
> standing before you are 3 "yous" -- one from a better universe and two
> from "worse" universes. Kind of puts the whole "am I my copy" debate into
> a context for consideration...

A thought experiment need not be physically possible but it must be logical,
this is not. One of these people comes from a hideous world of horror,
through a miracle he has somehow managed to survive it but not without
memories and experiences far beyond the nightmares of Stephan King. The
other comes from a fairy tail, Norman Rockwell, Teletubby world so sweet the
only danger is developing diabetes. If Many Worlds is the correct
interpretation of Quantum Mechanics then both these beings exist somewhere
in the multi-verse, but neither of these people remember being you, they
have vastly different memories from each other and from you. They would be
as much "you" as the man in the moon is.

  John K Clark