[extropy-chat] Putting God to Rest

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Tue Apr 24 05:38:52 UTC 2007

From: "Lee Corbin" <lcorbin at rawbw.com>
To: "ExI chat list" <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>

> Listen, I think that it's perfectly all right for black people to tell
> jokes about white people, and vice-versa, but only so long as none of the
> "targets" are within listening range. Insults, derogatory remarks, and
> even jokes put people into uncomfortable positions, where often they even
> have to decide whether to be confrontational about the slights received.
> Sensible and courteous folks simply
 DO NOT say such things in mixed audiences.

Mixed audiences?  What precisely is a mixed audience (or not)? (And, I say
... HOW would you know whether you were in a "mixed" audience or not?)

 > For all the derogatory remarks I've made about either religious or
political views, I must apologize to my targets insofar as they feel that
they have been placed in such an uncomfortable position. Knowing now that
some religious people are interested in transhumanist ideas and are even
 here participating in these discussions requires that I---and everybody
else---adhere to decorum, and find ways of saying what is true without being
insulting about it.

There's respecting someone's opinions ... and there's respecting a person's
right to those opinions.  I personally have no compunction in telling
someone (i.e., someone into superstition) that I don't have respect for
their opinions - only their right to those views.

Olga