[extropy-chat] fiction and autism

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 13:56:48 UTC 2007

On 4/24/07, Anne Corwin <sparkle_robot at yahoo.com> wrote:
> It's not so much of a chip as an acknowledgement that society has a long way
> to go before it actually manages to acknowledge autistic citizens as full
> and valid persons.  I'm sorry if I sounded overly defensive; that's what I

I have been reading this thread (without anything useful to add) so
maybe I was just more alert to the issue...

I saw on a car today one of those magentic ribbons with a slogan,
"think autism, think cure"

Was I right to feel offended on behalf of autists?  If sales of that
'ribbon' are helping increase understanding of autism, I guess it's an
overall good thing - but that slogan struck me as being the exact
opposite of understanding.