[extropy-chat] Putting God to Rest

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Tue Apr 24 20:20:12 UTC 2007

At 08:32 PM 4/24/2007 +0100, ben zaiboc wrote:

>Later on, when i realised what 'belief' actually entails, i decided i
>was an atheist. As in someone free of beliefs about gods. Atheism is
>/not/ a belief system. Just the opposite. I don't 'believe there are no
>gods', but i do have a lack of belief in them. Completely different
>thing. If some strong evidence turns up for their existence, i may
>change my mind. That's not belief.

Well said.

Unless "belief" is decomposed to something like (1) "hold that the
likelihood of X approaches 1.00". If it just means (2) "feel strongly
that X must be true because my pappy done tole me, and he wouldn't
lie, and I'll fight any dirty dog who says otherwise," or (3) "feel
strongly that X is true because a transcendently impressive thing
happened to me leading me to this conclusion," atheism is indeed an
absence of belief. On his blog, the sf writer John C. Wright provides
copious articulate and generally well-mounted but entirely incredible
comments derived in part from (3). He is not stupid, far from it,
although what he feels impelled to defend--his interpretation, that
is, not his raw experience--is, on its face, asinine (he has become,
of all silly things, a "Christian Scientist"; well, I suppose he
might have embraced the E-meter instead).

Damien Broderick