[extropy-chat] Gasoline machine

Stirling Westrup sti at pooq.com
Wed Apr 25 08:32:59 UTC 2007

BillK wrote:
> On 4/23/07, Stirling Westrup wrote:
>> I could swear I read about a prototype of such a machine just recently.
>> Processes a wide variety of household wastes (food scraps, wood chips,
>> whatever) and converts it into one of three different fuels depending on what
>> it deems the better choice, and then burns the fuel to produce electricity.
>> IIRC it was being developed for emergency relief and for military
>> applications. I'll try to dig up a reference, if you're interested.
>>

> As you are in Canada, it might be this story you are thinking of:
> <http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20070421.FUEL21/TPStory/Environment/>

Nope, that wasn't it. Besides, I've recently read about some sort of system
developed in China that uses a low-temperature enzymatic reaction that is far
superior to the high-temperature version that (as far as I can tell) they are
assuming in that article.

Anyway, I did find the article I was thinking about. You can find it here:
http://www.agriculture.purdue.edu/connections/winter2007/05_waste_to_watts.shtml