[extropy-chat] Anarchy + Transparent Society + Bushido = Survival

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Tue Apr 24 20:33:20 UTC 2007

> On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 07:35:39PM +0100, ben wrote:
> > The Avantguardian <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I would expect a society where everyone carried weapons to work very
> > > politely.

Yes, but it would be an extremely unstable system of politeness, with
the evolutionary weakness of having to adapt to the threats of its
internal structure rather than the threats of its environment.

> Careful, this way lies gun advocacy and contraadvocacy. It's best
> not to go there (at some point in the past, we had an official
> ban on that thread from hell).

As I recall, it was detrimental to the list not because of that
particular topic, but because of a small number of extremely strident
voices battling over the right to battle.

A more extropian approach to the subject might begin with asking what
is a weapon, other than an effective method of promoting a relatively
small context of values over a disproportionately large scope of
consequences?

- Jef