[extropy-chat] How to be copied into the future?

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Thu Apr 26 00:26:50 UTC 2007

At 01:26 PM 4/25/2007 -0400, Heartland wrote:
>Keith:
> > It's not commonly called that, but in what respect does rebooting your
> > computer in the morning after if being off over night differ from the
> > description of "resurrection"?
>
>By rebooting you can only "resurrect" the type of instance which expired
>yesterday,
>not the expired instance itself. If you wanted to resurrect that instance,
>you
>would have to go back in time and transfer it to today which is, of
>course, still
>impossible.
>
>Each life is an instance. Once it expires, resurrection of that instance is
>physically/logically impossible unless posthumans figure out a way to
>upload from
>the past.

It's not so easy.

If you leave my desktop on over night, it stays on, but my wife's laptop is
a different matter.

Depending on how it is set up, after various times of inactivity, it shuts
down the screen, slows the memory access to a crawl, then writes the
contents of memory out to disk, stops the disk and goes into a sleep mode
with memory refresh off.  Next time someone moves the mouse it loads memory
from disk and continues from where it was with every bit in the same state.

Where would you say it expired?

Keith