[extropy-chat] LA Times - Singing and health

MB mbb386 at main.nc.us
Thu Apr 26 18:09:33 UTC 2007

I like this, PJ, thanks for posting it. :)

Some years ago I found a welcoming singing opportunity - people who sing Shape Note
Music. Where I live there are several versions of Shape Note Music and I go to all
the singings I can get to, four different states! The songs are almost all old (18th
and 19th century) religious music, but that doesn't bother me a bit. I have several
friends who "can't stand the religiousness of this" - but I love the sound and the
people and the singing (and the food!).

We often have "all day singings" where we begin in the morning, break an hour for
covered dish lunch (ah, the food!), and then sing until late afternoon.  I didn't
know I could do it, I thought I'd collapse, but I never did... I just kept going and
it was a blast.

Aside from the music and singing, there's learning to read the various sets of
shapes, which I find delightfully challenging as well, like learning to read a code.
 And there's learning to lead a song - standing in the middle of the Hollow Square
and beating time and leading all the singers. :) And there's always a new song, one
I've not heard before.

I cannot (yet?) read regular round-note music, despite several years of piano
lessons in my long-ago childhood. My poor teachers - they were so disgusted and
disheartened. My parents were insistent, even offering cash bribes for me to learn
to play certain pieces of music. It never really happened.

I wonder what they'd think of Shape Note Singing?  ;)

http://fasola.org/
http://christianharmony.org/
http://www.oldharp.org/

Regards,
MB
... who was told (in school) "you don't sing well enough to be in the group"