[extropy-chat] LA Times - Singing and health

Thomas Thomas at thomasoliver.net
Fri Apr 27 00:30:31 UTC 2007

pjmanney wrote:

>[...] This is for those singers among us, like Emlyn.
>
>This is from the LA Times Health section, on how singing is beneficial to health.  It raises immune system indicators, raises oxytocin, raises cognitive fuction, improves quality of life in older age.  Group singing seems to improve it even more.
>
>http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-he-sing23apr23,1,2749174.story?coll=la-headlines-health
>[...]
 From the Times article: "At least one cognitive scientist, Steven
Pinker, is skeptical of a primal human need for music. Instead, he sees
music and singing as a kind of linguistic dessert — delicious but not
necessary. In his 1997 book, 'How the Mind Works,' he wrote, 'I suspect
music is auditory cheesecake.'"

I see Pinker has contributed a good deal in the field of EP. In my
opinion the "linguistic" aspect of music accounts for a small fraction
of its significance. Music has the virtue of arousing and allowing us to
express inarticulate emotions of joy, hilarity, loss, longing, etc. When
it comes to voicing deep emotion, the lyrics alone cannot satisfy the
way a simple sustained vowel sound does. I wonder if Pinker has done
much singing. -- Thomas Oliver (the songmaker)