[extropy-chat] Anarchy + Transparent Society + Bushido = Survival

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 27 02:36:09 UTC 2007

--- Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:

> At 04:58 PM 4/25/2007 -0700, Avant wrote:
>
> >I think you are too fixated on Bushido in its
> >historical context rather than as an abstractable
> >ethical code applicable in any time and place.
> Bushido
> >as an ethic can be summed up by approximately 8
> >virtues: wisdom, rectitude, courage, benevolence,
> >respect, truth, honor, and loyalty.
>
> Those are worthy virtues, if a little stern and
> rigid and
> authoritarian. How about we add: curiosity,
> imagination, boldness,
> compassion, flexibility/adaptability, humor,
> resistance to arbitrary
> authority, objectivity...

Well we could. But then we would have to change the
name of the mutated ethic from "Bushido" to "Mystic
Science", "Ascensionism", or something similar. ;-)

Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"In Emptiness exists Good but no Evil.
Wisdom is Existence.
Principle is Existence.
The Way is Existence.
The Mind is Emptiness."

- Miyamoto Musashi, Kyoto period Samurai.