[extropy-chat] Back to Causes of War

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Fri Apr 27 03:33:36 UTC 2007

Keith writes

> The thesis just says that humans have psychological traits
> from our remote past that when activated led to wars in those days.  We
> still have them and activation of these mechanisms _may_ lead to war in the
> modern era.

Then we do not disagree.  (Communication may be facilitated if you tried
harder to avoid giving the impression---that several of us got over the
last few years---that population increase or high birth rate was the typical
modern direct cause of war, or almost always the most important factor.
But see my "mediating" remark below.)

> As Azar Gat points out (in the paper I keep citing and nobody seems to
> read) population density has little to do with the willingness of people to
> go into war.  Why?  What is important?

I understand you to mean that population density and high birth rate
sometimes tend to lead to war because they so often lead to desperate
circumstances in a population, or, as you put it "grim prospects". In
this sense, it is the circumstances and prospects that are merely
*mediated* by high birth rates and density.

Of course, your quote below applies far more readily to the EEA than
to now.

Lee