[extropy-chat] Back to Causes of War

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Fri Apr 27 16:40:54 UTC 2007

At 11:40 PM 4/26/2007 -0700, Lee wrote:

snip

>How is the point made that modern European nations any time in the 20th
>century faced economic deprivation?

It's not absolute deprivation but *relative* that trips the
detectors.  This is characteristic of animals in general.  In _Influence:
the new psychology of modern persuasion_ Dr. Cialdini discusses this in the
classic example were a bucket of warm water feels cold to one hand and hot
to the other when left and right hands have been presoaked in cold and hot
water.

Even more significant (or so I think) is *anticipation* of bleak
conditions.  My case for this is the logic of gene selection.  It would pay
genes for the warriors to kill neighbors *before* they were gaunt and weak
from hunger.

>In what ways did resource scarcity
>contribute to WWI, WWII, the Korean War, or Vietnam?  Things were
>booming in Germany before both WWI and WWII, and no one else was
>much pinched either.

"At the time of Hitler's release [from jail], the political situation in
Germany had calmed and the economy had improved, which hampered Hitler's
opportunities for agitation."

snip

"The political turning point for Hitler came when the Great Depression hit
Germany in 1930."

snip

"Brüning's measure of budget consolidation and financial austerity brought
little economic improvement and was extremely unpopular. Under these
circumstances, Hitler appealed to the bulk of German farmers, war veterans
and the middle-class who had been hard-hit by both the inflation of the
1920s and the unemployment of the Depression."

 From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitler