[extropy-chat] How to be copied into the future?.

Randall Randall randall at randallsquared.com
Fri Apr 27 19:30:56 UTC 2007

On Apr 27, 2007, at 1:39 PM, John K Clark wrote:

> Science can detect no difference between one hydrogen
> atom and another, absolutely none, but nevertheless you think atoms
> can
> magically confer individuality to us even though they have none
> themselves.

A masterful disproof of wetness and softness.  Or
perhaps you believe that there are "wet" atoms?

> This is not science, this is religion and the word you are trying so
> desperately to avoid is SOUL.

He was being kind to you not to mention it.  It is,
after all, your position that two instances of John
Clark with completely different histories can somehow
share identity, not his.  What else but a soul could
explain this psychic linkage which makes them the
same person, as you assert?

Now, it's clear to me that you don't really think
that there's a soul.  You're just using the word
"person" to mean "type of instance", in the same
way that two copies of _The Spike_ are often said
loosely to be the "same book".  Nevertheless, you
persist in making these kinds of assertions about
what Heartland is saying, even though you *must*
know by now that this is a word choice difficulty
alone.

--
Randall Randall <randall at randallsquared.com>
"Everything's stolen these days. The fax machine is