[extropy-chat] How to be copied into the future?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Apr 28 09:04:23 UTC 2007

On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 06:18:11PM -0400, Heartland wrote:

> > Then, after several months and years we'd tell him. What would be
> > his reaction?
>
> Let me solve that mystery for you right now. The future instance of "my" type would
> probably make another attempt at explaining to you why you murdered someone who
> shared similar brain structure. :)

Do you think that "instance of your type" would have a good case in court?
Do you think anyone undergoing general anaesthesia could sue their anaesthesiologists
for manslaughter? Does it mean that I can anything from that "instance of your type",
because it no longer has a plausible claim to his house, wife, life and all general
assets? That instance is just an impostor, after all.

Why don't you sue that gal at Starbucks, because she wilfully disrupted your
"Slawomir" process by a really strong double latte?

> If you had a perfect twin right now, would it be OK if you killed him too? I

If it was your sort of "killing", any time. If it was a perfectly synchronized
instance of the me-process I could even kill him physically.

> imagine you would still argue with the guards, while being dragged to your cell or

"Yes, your honor, we had to anaesthesize this person, because of an appendectomy.
Please don't be too harsh with our sentence. We just wanted to spare him the
experience of having his belly slit open while fully conscious".

> even a death chamber, that you should go free since the victim's death was not a
> big deal because the type of your twin's brain structure still remains or because

Excuse me? I'm not a type believer, and I believe, you've just murdered a
strawman. Guards! Guards!

> flat EEGs are poor indicators of death so, according to your definition of death,

Not my definition of death. *Everybody's* definition of death. With the exception
of Slawomir, that is.

> you didn't kill
> anyone.

I wish I could murder that thread. It never goes anywhere.