[extropy-chat] How to be copied into the future?.

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Sat Apr 28 17:17:51 UTC 2007

"Lee Corbin" <lcorbin at rawbw.com>

> I recall that Heartland *specifically* said that it's not the atoms that
> are the problem

True but for ever time I've heard him say atoms are not important I've twice
heard him go on and on about atom's space time trajectories and how
important they are in defining identity; on Monday Wednesday Friday and
Saturday atoms are important, on Tuesday and Thursday they are not, and on
Sunday he rests.

> What DOES matter is whether a process is
> suspended or not.

And that's why he also thinks anesthesia is the equivalent to death. Do you
really want to defend that 18'th century idea?

> And according to him, that's the whole ball game.

And that's exactly what makes his idea downright comical. According to him
the whole ball game is something that is imposable to detect subjectively
but nevertheless (for reasons never explained) I should be very concerned
about it, subjectively. To say this is silly is a vast understatement.

According to him the John Clark of yesterday could be dead and if he was I
should be concerned if I thought the same thing was going to happen to the
John Clark of today tomorrow; however despite my frequent requests he is
unable to explain without getting all vague and mystical why if that's all
death is I should give a hoot in hell about it one way or the other.

> I am appalled at the way that you and Stathis keep trying to take down a
> straw man.

Straw man be damned! If The High Priest says he changed his mind and no
longer things matter determines identity and stops harping on the vast
"difference" between the copy and the original then I will say no more about
it; but until then I will not apologies for pointing out the absurd places
this train of thought leads to.

  John K Clark