[extropy-chat] Continued Energy for the Infinite Future

A B austriaaugust at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 28 20:09:06 UTC 2007

 For the sake of this post, I'm going to assume that
our Universe is not going to end in a Big Crunch but
will continue forever. I was trying to think of a way
to continually produce energy for an infinite period
(assuming that the Universe may eventually run out of
use-able nuclear fuels, etc.) What about a giant,
planet-sized generator of sorts? Construct a gigantic
permanent magnet (with a decent amount of gravity)
that has a powerful magnetic field. Then put wire
coils attached to batteries or capacitors into a tight
and fast orbit around the magnet. (Under typical
conditions, a wire moving through a magnetic field
will carry an electric current). Alternatively, you
could also attach the wire coils "directly" to
orbiting computers. It looks to me that all that is
required is gravity (which I don't see going
anywhere), and that nuclear protons don't eventually
decay (Hasn't this already been tested with results
indicating no decay?). No doubt, there will be far,
far more efficient methods in the future, this is just
a simple example. Does anyone familiar with physics,
cosmology, or engineering know of a reason why this
wouldn't work? I'd be interested to know.

Best Wishes,

Jeffrey Herrlich