[extropy-chat] How to be copied into the future?,

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Sun Apr 29 17:14:57 UTC 2007

Lee Corbin" <lcorbin at rawbw.com>

> Can't you see that you keep begging the question?

No I can't see that, I can't see that at all.

> What if you are killed tonight by some gangsters, and replaced by an actor
> they've paid to imitate John K. Clark.

But I am also an actor, playing the part of John K Clark of yesterday, and I
am such a good actor I think I'm him. I am not in distress, I feel fine, so
I see no reason to be unhappy if the same thing happens to me again
tomorrow.

And another thing, you lambasted me for saying the High Priest thought atoms
were sacred, but in your above quotation you throw around the word
"replaced" as if the meaning were obvious; but what is actually being
"replaced"?

What it means is that you got a bunch of atoms to interact in the same way
as an original group of atoms, and then you changed the organization of the
original group of atoms (for example blowing up the original man with a
stick of dynamite). You claim there has been a HUGE subjective difference
(even though the person in question can detect no subjective difference!),
but what has actually changed? We now use different atoms, that's it, atoms
the Scientific method can find no difference in.

So don't tell me I'm being unfair to call it the sacred atoms theory.

 John K Clark