[extropy-chat] How to be copied into the future?.

Randall Randall randall at randallsquared.com
Sun Apr 29 18:04:22 UTC 2007

On Apr 29, 2007, at 6:41 AM, Lee Corbin wrote:
> And so what if the process were happening 100 times per second?
> That is,
>      microsecond 0-1               Randall is frozen
>      microsecond 1-2               Randall is copied atom for atom
> into Randall 2
>      microsecond 2-3               Randall 1 is vaporized
>      microsecond 3-4               Randall 2 is moved to exactly
> the same place
>
> that Randall 1 was
>      microseconds 4-10000     Randall2 thinks his Randall-squared
> type thoughts
> nd experience his Randall^2 life
>     microsecond 10000-10001  the process starts all over again with
> Randall N
>                                                 being frozen for a
> microsecond, completing
>                                                 a full 100 copy &
> replace operations per second.
>
> So what would you make of your life?  How can you be sure that it's
> not really
> happening?

Well, I can't.  I can't be sure, in the same way,
that the Old Ones won't return tomorrow to eat our
brains.  But I don't much worry about them, either.

> In order to be consistent---which is okay---my guess is that "you"
> would have to conclude that "your" consciousness was a delusion,
> and that
> you might as well just kill yourself (modulo the effects on friends
> and relatives, etc.) because there was no "you" that had any
> duration and had no life to speak
> of.  Am I correct?

As far as you go, yes.  Thanks for putting "you"
in quotes, to show that you understand that I
don't think there's any single point of view, there.

--
Randall Randall <randall at randallsquared.com>
"Perhaps the real obstacle to the widespread adoption of CL is that