[extropy-chat] How to be copied into the future?.

Randall Randall randall at randallsquared.com
Mon Apr 30 20:53:36 UTC 2007

On Apr 30, 2007, at 3:54 PM, John K Clark wrote:
> "Damien Broderick" <thespike at satx.rr.com>
>> *Obviously* Randall2 thinks (or at least feels) he's
> continuous with the original. Surely nobody disputes this. It's
> part of the
> definition of "perfect copy."
>
> Agreed.

I also agree with this, to be clear.

>> The only matter at stake is whether R1 should object to being
>> obliterated
>> and replaced by R2...n. I would
>
> I know you would object, and so would most members of this list and
> virtually all members of the general public; but I also know one other
> thing, you would not object if you didn't know it was happening,
> and unless
> I was foolish enough to tell you you'd have absolutely no way of
> knowing it
> had.

As I've pointed out repeatedly, exactly the same is
true of any death.  Dead people don't know they're
dead, because they don't know anything.  There are
all kinds of things going on relating to my body
any brain all the time that I have no subjective
awareness of.  That doesn't mean they aren't happening.

--
Randall Randall <randall at randallsquared.com>
"Everything's stolen these days. The fax machine is