[extropy-chat] How to be copied into the future?.

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Apr 30 22:09:20 UTC 2007

At 05:06 PM 4/30/2007 -0400, John K Clark wrote:

>Damien, can you explain why it's physically impossible, can you explain why
>intelligently designed Nanotechnology would be unable to make a duplicate of
>you when random mutation and very stupid natural selection obviously has
>managed to bring you into existence?

You left out "decades of extremely detailed interaction with a Vastly
complex environment, plus stochastic changes to body/brain." These
factors combined produced the sorry specimen writing this email, and
would never be able to replicate it unaided.

>Why does randomness and stupidity beat
>intelligence?

In the general sense, because they had 4 billion years and a whole
planet of competing organisms to work with. In the specific sense,
they can't--as argued above.

And I thought the claim was that a perfect copy could be contrived
and swapped in instantaneously. Nano couldn't do that. I suppose some
as yet unknown form of machine-implemented magic field resonance
might do it. I have grown a bit impatient with thought experiments
based on [what seem to us in our present partial knowledge of the
universe] extreme improbabilities or such absurdities as "if god can
do X, then..."

Damien Broderick