[ExI] massive "green" industrial transformation of the landscape

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Aug 5 20:23:27 UTC 2007

On Sun, Aug 05, 2007 at 12:36:27PM -0700, Lee Corbin wrote:
> Eugen writes
>

> > (Btw, I've outlawed incandescents in this household (first 3 W
> > LED spots, now metal halide lamps for the living room), and will
> > be buying a wood/coal oven next year.
>
> What if everyone did that?

I hereby encourage everybody to pick up fluorescents, LEDs and metal
halides instead of old incandescents -- the wood oven part is however
a pure insurance on my part. I expect to things become somewhat
nasty during impending economic turmoil, and methane to become
scarce and/or expensive for the duration. Wood and especially coal
wouldn't work for dense industrial centers, mostly for emission
reasons.

You should be clean with a modern fuel pellet oven, though. All of this
is short-term, in 15-30 years suburbia should be net energy
producer.

Of course the usual other suggestions do apply: house insulation,
energy-efficient home appliances, solar thermal, heat pump, etc.