[ExI] you cn't always get what you wnt

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 19:44:27 UTC 2007

On 8/12/07, Jeff Davis <jrd1415 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is this old news?
>
> Stanford researchers find culprit in aging muscles that heal poorly
>
> http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2007-08/sumc-srf080607.php

In posting the link, I restrained myself from saying more.  I was
tempted, but thought to avoid embarrassing myself.

It seemed to me that a modest extrapolation of the salient point --
the effect of Wnt  becomes destructive with age -- leads to a rather
dramatic notion/tentative implication:  Hooray! Yippee! (Jumping
around wildly, waving arms, vocalizing uncontrollably (laughing,
chirping, and gibbering while intermittantly drooling and broadcasting
spittle with a degree of  radial symmetry) We've  found it!  We've
found it!  The fountain of youth!  The secret to eternal life!!
Immortality is ours!!

Suppress the Wnt signal.

Quoting from the article:

"...one could envision this becoming a therapeutic."

How very discreet that.

Rando said many drugs can block Wnt signaling. "Theoretically, given
the number of ways to block Wnt and Wnt signaling, one could envision
this becoming a therapeutic," he said. "You could potentially enhance
the healing of aged tissues by reducing this effect of Wnt signaling
on the resident stem cells."

"Enhance."  Yeah, that's the ticket.  Enhance me.  Please.

--
Best, Jeff Davis

               "Everything's hard till you
                     know how to do it."