[ExI] ExI (no subject)

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Sun Aug 12 21:19:55 UTC 2007

At 02:22 PM 8/10/2007, Alicia wrote:

>Hi everyone. I am new to this group and, from reading the recent
>posts, perhaps a bit in over my head.  I came upon this group during
>an internet search that I have been conducting for the past few
>months. I am looking for ways to better myself and, well I guess...
>the world. I used to exceed in school and positively loved college.
>I read everything on could get my hands on pertaining to religions,
>science, physics, theories and the human condition, both past and
>present. Now, as a working single mother, I feel like my brain has
>atrophied.  I am looking for a sort of jumping off place to begin.
>Again. Any ideas?

Hi Alicia, welcome.  My suggestion is to simply read the Principles
of Extropy at http://www.extropy.org and some of the articles written
by transhumanists.

There are many women who you can read about and whose works have been
meaningful to the development of transhumanism.  Many post to the
list.  Amara Graps, Barbara Lamar, Gina Miller, PJ Manning, Sky
Marsen, Tanya Jones, Christine Peterson, Samantha Atkins, Fiorella
Terenzi, and Anna Taylor are just a few of who have been involved in
transhumanism for just a few years to well over a decade.

One way to better ourselves is to remember that the more
interconnected we are, and the more compassionate we are toward each
other, the more hope we can instill in ourselves and our
children.  Essential to this is being able to offer and accept
constructive criticism.

I think that transhumanism can take a bigger step and longer stride
in making a strong presence concerning the issues that affect all of us.

Best wishes,
Natasha

<http://www.natasha.cc/>Natasha<http://www.natasha.cc/> Vita-More
PhD Candidate, <http://www.planetary-collegium.net/about/>Planetary
<http://www.planetary-collegium.net/about/>Collegium
Situated in the Faculty of Technology, School of Computing,
Communications and Electronics,
University of Plymouth, England
<http://www.transhumanist.biz/>Transhumanist Arts & Culture
<http://www.extropy.org/>Extropy Institute

If you draw a circle in the sand and study only what's inside the
circle, then that is a closed-system perspective. If you study what
is inside the circle and everything outside the circle, then that is
an open system perspective. - Buckminster Fuller