[ExI] free-will, determinism, crime and punishment

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 17 16:14:45 UTC 2007

Vladimir,

> Retribution/punishment IS a way to enforce lawful behaviour...

Thanks for your comments. I'm not suggesting that punishment has no place
in our criminal justice system. I mean only that its motivation should be
rehabilitation and deterrence, not retribution.

It strikes me that retribution is an archaic concept, inconsistent with
modern science. But people are dying because of it. If you ask people why
they support capital punishment, you'll hear lots of arguments about
retribution.

-gts