[ExI] Phishing URLs

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Wed Aug 22 02:35:26 UTC 2007

Chris writes (8/20/2007, 9:59 AM)

> > The Enthusiast by David Ewing Duncan
> > A controversial biologist at Harvard claims
> > he can extend life span and
> > treat diseases of aging. He may be right.
> > http://www.technologyreview.com/Biotech/19172/

> Both the title and the url were encoded links.  And while the URL works
> fine, the link under it was something obnoxious!

> > "http://cl.exct.net/?ju=fe3115747c650675741474&ls=fdef1573716c0d7872107371&m=ff011674776105&l=fec4127776650574&s=fe2f167274620075741371&jb=ffcf14&t="

> There's no way for anyone to safely click on something like that.  It
> would be much more polite to just send us the visible link, and not the
> obfuscated link that presumably goes through someone's tracking system.
>
> Grumble,
> Chris

Thanks for pointing this out. I take implicit in your
warning that

1. when posting links, try to go to the web page
   (wherever you found it), and copy the URL that
   appears in your browser window, instead of the
   potentially dangerous extended link
2. when about to click on an html posted link,
   like appeared in that email (below), examine
   where the link really takes you before clicking
3. avoid posting in HTML items such as the underlined
   "The Enthusiast" below, and post instead a string
   beginning with "http://" that takes you somewhere
   you'll gamble will be safe.

Are these right?

Lee

P.S.  Good article, by the way, Samantha