[ExI] META: Re: free-will, determinism, crime and punishment

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 22 19:52:17 UTC 2007

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 12:35:29 -0400, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> I don't see what this thread has to do with extropy.

Crime and punishment is about law and order. Last time I checked, "order"
had something to do with "extropy".

How do we secure and defend an extropic civilization? Is the retributive
theory of justice a concept that should have traction in an enlightened
society? Should criminals be treated as defective entities in need of
repair (rehabilitation), or should they be treated as entities deserving
pain or even termination for having done wrong? These are the sorts of
questions under consideration here.

-gts