[ExI] free-will, determinism, crime and punishment

Michael M. Butler mmbutler at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 02:58:07 UTC 2007

On 8/22/07, gts <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 12:26:53 -0400, Michael M. Butler <mmbutler at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > You can imply-by-assertion a causal relationship if you want, but
> > correlation, last time I heard, is not causation.
>
> I'm not arguing that the death penalty causes higher murder rates. I'm
> merely pointing out why it's so controversial whether the death penalty
> deters homicide better than prison sentences. The evidence is mixed at
> best.
>
> -gts

OK, let's leave it there. I think Eugen wants us to do this _not
here_, and it doesn't muss my hair to oblige him.

I agree the data are mixed and the issue is complicated. Thanks for
staying civil.

MMB
--
         Michael M. Butler  :  m m b u t l e r  ( a t )  g m a i l . c o m
         "I'm going to get over this some time. Might as well be now."