[ExI] Canonized Answer to Hard Problem of Consciousness.

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at comcast.net
Tue Aug 28 20:23:05 UTC 2007

(This was forwarded from a thread on the WTA-talk list.)

Michael,

Yeeaayy!! Thanks so much for adding your great statement. I already feel
like the world is a much better place, and we are finally starting to
make some real progress in finding out what it is all Transhumanists
believe.

This is obviously still a difficult to use, bare minimum prototype. Some
volunteers, like Karolis Ramanauskas, are helping us fix problems and
improve things as fast as we possibly can. We can always use more help.
I very much appreciate your patience and willingness to play with the
system tell we get it right. Don't worry about making a mess! We make
lots of backups, and we can always clean things up. We definitely still
need an instruction manual, and to make things more obvious and
intuitive, but there is lots to do and we're getting there.

You did get your statement entered, you just ended up with a few extra
practice statement records which I easily cleaned up.

So, your statement, with your wonderful text, is now under the agreement
statement, submitted as (or was, see below) a competing statement to mine:

http://karolisr.canonizer.com/topic.asp?topic_num=23&statement_num=3

Editing things on the Canonizer is quite a bit different than a
traditional wiki system, since any edits must first be proposed, and
then in a probationary state to be sure no current supporters, at or
below the current structure, disapprove with the change. If anyone in
that camp does disapprove, they can object. If this happens it will not
go live, and you must make your additions or changes some place else in
the POV structure. Either as a supportive sub statement (if you agree
with everything else) or as a competing statement in some other branch
under the agreement statement.

Also, the title you selected for your statement, 'The “Hard Problem” of
Consciosness, its Nature and Solution' seems more appropriate for the
title of the topic as a whole. The topic, as a whole, is about the hard
problem of consciousness, and the agreement statement is just the facts
and describes the problem. Your statement is just one POV about what is
the correct resolution to this problem right? Your statement title
should be something that tells people what this camp's theory is, within
this hard problem topic context right? There is a place lower down on
the page where you can "manage" this statement (this block shows the
current Name and Title that can be changed). If you take this manage
link, it will take you to a history page for the statement. You can then
select one of these history records (likely the most recent one) to use
for the default values in the new proposed record. You can then make
your change, add a required reason for the change, and finally propose it.

Another thing you should do is support your statement. Because only
supporters can object to changes. As long as nobody is supporting a
statement, anyone can make any change to it at any time. On the
statement page, there is a place to "Directly support this statement".
If there are other supporters of a statement, already, you can delegate
your support to these, which will make it so your support automatically
follows their "vote" for what is the best statement. Making it so you
don't have to be as involved, but can still get your vote counted with
someone you trust.

I completely support everything in your statement. In other words, I am
in your camp on this issue. Yeeeaayy!! I think you are saying a few
things that aren't necessary (even a bit misleading?) making it less
concise, and missing a few other critical things. But, since I agree
with everything you say, I changed the parant statement of my statement
from the Agreement statement to your statement. So instead of being a
competitor to your statement, my statement is now under and supports
your statement. So my support of my statement, rolls up and
automatically supports your statement. So once you support your
statement, there will be 2 supports, making it the currently "Canonized"
answer to this issue according to a "Blind Popularity" canonizer (the
only one implemented so far).

In the future I'll try to talk you into some proposed changes, and if
you (and anyone else who joins our camp) agrees, the changes will make
it in. If not, I'll keep them in my supportive statement below. Also,
I'll review your proposed suggested changes to my statement and possibly
get them added. Got to think about it more, and consider what Stathis
said first.

Also, you added your name to the bottom of the statement in the text.
This should not be necessary, since the fact you submitted it, is
recorded in the data base. Again, the place to add your name, is as a
supporter of this statement right?

So, I hope we can find out what all the rest of you brilliant
Transhumanists believe! Then we can get some real legitimacy and some
infinitely valuable rapidly progressing information in all this right?
So, in 10 years, when science finally shows us the real answer, we will
know who will have been in the right camp the longest, and had the most
influence on the researchers so they could look in the right place
the soonest!?

Upward,

Brent Allsop