[ExI] fermi paradox- weighted summary

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 14:36:15 UTC 2007

On Dec 6, 2007 1:45 PM, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> At 0.9 c, the distances are very, very short.

If you allow unknown technology, anything is possible.
(Or, at least no presently available technology, or speculative
technologies that may never become feasible).

Seth (and you) know that 0.9c travel requires huge energy use and
tremendous radiation shielding. (And you need wild speculation to
permit this). He even provides a link to such speculations for you.
<http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/060308_exotic_drive.html>

> Any culture slightly beyond us is expanding in a sphere at almost c.
> Such a thing is both impossible to miss, and almost impossible to observe.

If you assume insane advanced cultures will do this.
I don't.

> A circular void millions to billions of lightyears is impossible to miss,
> but almost impossible to observe. You'd have to be it, or you'd have to
> be just on cusp of being it, while being hit by it. That's not so very
> likely.

Yea, I guess the Universe could be being eaten by something that we
can't detect.
I'll start digging my shelter tomorrow.

BillK