[ExI] von Neumann probes (was Re: fermi paradox)

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Dec 8 07:01:33 UTC 2007

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Damien Broderick
> Subject: Re: [ExI] von Neumann probes (was Re: fermi paradox)
>
> Bryan Bishop writes:
>
> >I'm on it (the design/implementation):
> >http://heybryan.org/projects/atoms/
>
> Uh huh: "Many nuts think that the best way to go is molecular
> nanotechnology."

Count me among these nuts.

Nanotechnology can perhaps be defined as matter arranged in such a way as to
maximize the ratio of information to matter.  (Hey, I kinda like that.  I
donate the meme to the public domain.  {8^D)  We already know that space
travel is not impossible but is difficult.  For that reason it seems a waste
of both information and energy to carry matter across vast stretches of
emptiness without first having maximized the information content of the
matter being hurled.