[ExI] OpenOffice + math

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Sat Dec 8 15:53:25 UTC 2007

Does anyone here use OpenOffice heavily, especially for stuff that
involves equations? If so, can I pester you with questions off-list?

I'd like to use it instead of Microsoft Office for my new business,
but am running into rough edges, particularly with getting math to
look right. The equation editor doesn't seem to be able to do what I
want it to.

For instance, the newline feature hiccups, and doesn't either "do the
right thing" or let me manually control the indentation of successive
lines in a multiple-line equation.

More importantly, I can't control the alignment of multiple equations
so that all the equal signs will be at the same offset from the left
margin. When the equations are very different, this isn't noticeable.
But when the left-hand side is very similar, the slight difference in
offset looks tacky.

And is there a similar way to get a programmer's pretty-printing for
document content that happens to be code?

-- David.