[ExI] Evolutionary psychology and religion

Kevin Freels kevin at kevinfreels.com
Mon Dec 10 23:27:44 UTC 2007

> You put your finger right on it.  "Before everything else - including
> their own lives and the lives of others."  So what reoccurring
> situation in the EEA could have led to conditions where this trait
> would promote genetic survival?
>
> Keith

War for one.

But maybe it's smaller than that. Maybe it's just a matter of fighting
over mates. It could be sexually selected. "He who has the biggest balls
makes offspring."

I had a thought about imagination being tied to it - thinking that the
ability to imagine a way to win would give a person greater hope. But
then I dismissed that since most overly religious people I know seem to
lack imagination which may contribute to their belief of religious
dogma. (But that is not based on any real observation - just
speculation. ) I can imagine a scenario where hope despite being able to
readily imagine a way to win could be used to overcome someone who has
greater imagination but lacks the conviction. You could end up with a
positive feedback loop which would reinforce both behaviors. You get
strongly religious people and a great deal of improved imagination. Of
course with the gene swapping going on you would still get a great deal
of people with both traits.

I really haven't given it much thought but I think I'm going to go home
tonight and ponder it a bit.