[ExI] christmas songs 2

Anna Taylor femmechakra at yahoo.ca
Wed Dec 12 23:26:50 UTC 2007

--- Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:

>This supposed to be a discussion arising from
>Dickens' "A Christmas Carol," which in turn was a
>response to avarice rather than rational management,
>to cruel and oppressive treatment of staff by a
>dictatorial boss, carelessness of consequences, and
>general hatred of life on the part of someone
>damaged by tragedy as well as deliberate rejection
>of empathy and family warmth. Refresh your memory of
>the plot at
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Christmas_Carol

I don't remember the psychosis that Scrooge had and I
don't believe that your analysis of Scrooge's
behaviour has anything to do with the theme of the
story.
I remember the following:

1) Money doesn't bring you happiness
2) A little boy that's sick because the family can't
afford to buy food let alone can afford to loose their
job right before Christmas.  Hence the fact of why
charity is so important.
3) The fact that Scrooge at the end sees the error of
his ways and makes a conscious effort to grow.

As the recurrent themes are social injustice and
poverty, I would say I was on tract with my defence of
charity. I assume when reading a story people pick up
information on many different levels or maybe I just
didn't get it.

BTW, I read your on-line book, I really enjoyed it,
thanks. (I asked my mother to buy me The Spike for
Christmas (and thanks to many on the list for giving
me good ideas for some interesting books).

Have Happy Holidays.
Anna