[ExI] EP and REligious beliefs

citta437 at aol.com citta437 at aol.com
Fri Dec 14 01:44:48 UTC 2007

Keith wrote:>If Religion is an antirational meme, it will behave in
ways that
>promote its memetic survival. If there's a gene that makes people
>more likely to be fanatics, well, okay. I don't see necessarily why
>this gene can't behave in a self-promoting way anyway, although my
>knowledge of genetics is pretty poor compared to my understanding of
>meme theory. But WRT the meme, Religion is one of the strongest
>antirational memeplexes next to parenting and romance, so we're
>likely to see a lot of self-preservation behaviour from this meme.
>Memes are not dependent on genes to explain the ways they behave.

In the long run memes and genes can't be at odds.  Those that are die
out.  Look into the history of the Shaker meme."
__________________

Religious meme infects brains not trained in critical
thinking/rationality. Such untrained brains are hosts to irrational
memes. Without brains susceptible to memetic infection, these religious
memes/beliefs die.

I don''t know the Shaker meme. Is it based on reason or metaphysical
beliefs? Some metaphysical beliefs based on faith is at odds  with
science and technology. The latter is based on the principles of
continuous investigation on the nature of reality. The gap between
science and religion exists due to minds attached to irrationality, a
by- product of the "selfish gene."

Terry