[ExI] "Mechanical Mind"

citta437 at aol.com citta437 at aol.com
Sat Dec 15 13:55:15 UTC 2007

 From Margaret Boden's book review these questions were asked posted on
12-10-07:

" How do our brains generate consciousness? Are animals or newborn
babies conscious? Can machines be conscious? If not, why not? How is
free will possible, or creativity? How are the brain and mind
different? What counts as a language?"

________________

I find it interesting that there was no mention about genetics or was
it incorporated in neurobiological sciences but was not given equal
emphasis   as in other fields of applied science?

In the first question on how do our brains generate consciousness is
similar to how did life evolve from the elements of hydrogen, oxygen
and carbon? The catalysts include the change in temperature and
pressure to tilt the balance towards the formation of organic life as
discovered by science in the field of cosmology, another field not
mentioned in the review.

In the second quest-" are animals or newborn babies conscious?
My answer is yes based on the fact that animals and babies follow the
genetic blue print incripted in their DNA. It was recently discovered
that even some plants like bananas share some 9% of human's DNA.

3. Can machines be conscious? If not, why not?

Consciousness cannot be an automatic response as far as I know. The
process arise in synergy with micro and macrolevels of interactions
with the right conditions which exist in randomness. Some
determinists/probabilists see free will and creativity as a fact of
random events.

4.How are the brain and mind different? The mind is a behavior of the
brain to interact with stimuli coming from inside and outside the
sensing mechanism. It uses energy to think rationally depending on how
it is genetically wired.

5. What counts as language? I read Steven Pinker's book about how the
brain function in connection with language formation. { forgot the
title} As I recall the gist of it is that language and memory are
interconnected. Another recent discovery in neurobiology or neuronal
functions is that memory cells are not concentrated merely in the brain
but all over the human anatomy from the skin cells to other organ
systems.
See how complex this mechanical mind which is dependent on other
functions {specialized cells} to do it's job well.

In the long run human brain is analogous to cosmic evolution from
extropic state/singularity to entropy.imho

Terry