[ExI] Why is xmas 'the holiday season' in America??

ben benboc at lineone.net
Sun Dec 16 11:24:56 UTC 2007

Can someone tell me why Americans refer to christmas as the 'holiday
season'?

The first time i met this it confused me, and i wondered if i'd somehow
lost 6 months. The season in which people take their holidays is usually
summer. Xmas is the time you stay at home and get stressed (unless you
abdicate from the whole thing, which can be difficult to do, but is
worth it).

So do most Americans take their holidays around xmas instead of the
summer, or what?

Otherwise it seems daft. I mean, what do they call the time of year when
they actually go on holiday? (or is there no particular favoured time of
year for this in America?).

Can somebody clear this up for me? Everytime i hear the phrase, i keep
thinking "No, it's not! it's xmas!", because to me, the 'holiday season'
is July-August.

ben zed