[ExI] simulation

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Dec 16 16:18:50 UTC 2007

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Gary Miller
> Subject: Re: [ExI] simulation
>
> Spike said:
>
> >>I also eventually realized independently, latency will be always be a
> limiting factor in parallel computing.
>

> Will the advancement of Quantum computing and a Quantum entangled value
> being able to be set ...
>  ...It seems that Quantum computing development is advancing much quicker
> Gary

Hi Gary,

I don't know enough about quantum computing to offer a strong proof, but my
contention is that regardless of what advances there are in quantum
computing and super low energy use computing, latency will always be a
factor.  We can suppose it is roughly analogous to why your local library is
more useful to you than the Library of Congress in Washington, even after
the advent of the internet.

This notion is the driving logic behind S-brains.  That design sacrifices
total energy throughput (of the M-Brain) in favor of reduced latency.

The notion that latency is a final limiting factor would also explain why
the universe is paradoxically quiet: an S-brain doesn't value as highly
information from another S-brain that is say ten years away, in comparison
to the information from another S-brain that is one minute away.  So my
notion is that multiple S-Brains in a single star system would interact but
would not put a lot of effort into sending signals our way.